Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Postman

On my way back from office, I was reminded of the postman; popularly called as postmaster. The reason was someone mentioning about government servants. It was only then that I realised how much I missed this guy. With courier services gaining popularity, very little attention is paid to this guy.

The postman, his uniform, his cycle, the post office and numerous other things bring smile to my face; a face tired of staring at glass almost for the entire day. I am reminded of the guy who used to deliver letters at my place.

I don't remember a single moment when he didn't wear a smile on his face. Right since childhood, I have been fond of postman. Whenever I saw him, I used to run towards him to take all the letters that belonged not only to me but to the entire neighbourhood. Till late I have been doing this activity. Often, he used to look at the letters addressed to me and comment on it. We used to chit-chat over a cup a tea. Once we watched some cricket match together. I vividly remember all these things. I was in college when the passport arrived. Later my dad told that the postman was so happy to deliver the passport. I was so happy to hear that.

The post office is a dull place; devoid of light and devoid of any emotion that the letters carry; be it a love letter or a letter of demise. The post man is a saint in many ways.

The festival of lights, diwali, brings this guy along with his colleague. I see this colleague only on this day though. He holds a notebook to write the diwali gift. My dad once asked me how much should we gift him and I replied saying whatever he asks for and my dad smiled in return; he knew what I meant and what I felt for this man; a man so important and yet ignored. My feeling for this man is beyond words; his attitude, his smile, and everything. Hats off to the postmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts