Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Books


"I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx"


Books can change your life. A book can define you, your life and what you will do for the rest of your life. So here is what happened.

A thought passed by and I told my dad that people are not successful because they do not love what they do. How can you expect to change your life when you keep complaining about every other thing in your life and do nothing about it? You can't get mangoes by sowing apple seeds. As shall you sow, so shall you reap.

Parents know exactly what their child is aiming at. With the jolly face that he carries along with him all the time, he said in a mischievous way, "You think there is no one like you. But there is one. Have you read Fountain Head?" This is how it all started. Till that point of my life, I had not read much books. My parents are voracious readers having plethora of knowledge. However, I wasn't till then. So much so that, they used to read Chandamama, Reader's Digest etc for me while I was a kid. If human ears had the built-in facility to close like our eyes have, I wouldn't have listened to what they read. I was too engrossed with kites, marbles, tops, etc... (More on this later) Ayn Rand, the author, has influenced my life. Now, I have the same mettle. I love reading, I read too much and I don't read anything.

Recently, I was looking for a book written in 1950s and I couldn't find it. Disappointed, I bought a book written in 1920s. I read it and found it amazing. I gave it to someone. I used to enquire each day about the progress he made until one day when he said, "Son, if I would have got this book about 20 years ago, things would have been different today." I was cold blooded. I agreed. I told him to do what he would have done 20 years back since time cannot be a barrier if you want to learn. He is doing it now.

Stop reading, start reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts